412 Media Design Blog
WHY SCHEMA.ORG MARKUP FOR LOCAL SERVICES AND BUSINESS
Let’s put all those “Near Me” searches to use for your local business and drive more traffic to your Website.
Many people ask, “is your business near me” in Google and other search engines. This is like asking the nearest person where to buy whatever they want. Google can index your Website based on location and with Schema.org markup when people ask is your business near me search engines can say yes, it is.
Getting found in these more localized searches can drive new traffic to your website, services or products.
Imagine this for a moment, you’re on a business trip and you need to find the local gas station, well if there are ten gas station in 2 miles and only 3 are using Schema.org markup those 3 will be shown on Google maps and other search index before the other 7.
What is Schema.org and How does the near-me inquiries work?
When you ask for a near by local service or business-like restaurants or gas stations, the GPS on your smart phone or device knows where you’re located, with your Website presence being define with Schema.org and other markup the near-me inquires can find the closest Business matching the search que.
Steps to take to make using Schema.org markup
- 1.Start requesting your website Developer to add individual location pages: Does your business have more then one physical location? Well start defining them with their own pages an Schema.org markup. This way search engines can identify that you do have more then one location, or even go as far to set each property to it’s department. Such as physical location is for the public and is a shop, well location two might be for resellers and or a warehouse not open to the public.
- 2. Optimize your Homepage and Landing pages: This helps you strive for a Google Knowledge Graph panel. When someone finds you online from a desktop or laptop they can see information about your business in a panel on the right side of the results page. Of course, this can be influenced by many factors but one factor we see at 412 Media Design is the Schema.org Markup on the Home Page of your Website.
- 3. Optimize your organization’s Contact Information: By adding Schema.org markup to your Website on the appropriate pages like Contact us, to give a clear meaning.
- 4. Optimize Social Media and Local Listings: Google My Business and other Local Listing Index sites love Schema.org Markup.
- 5. Does Your Business Hold A Lot Of Events Add Schema.org Markup: Scheduling with your Website Developer will help insure markup is accurate for each event, submitted on time and index by search engines.
- 6. Actively Mange Your Business and Product Reviews: It’s just important to do this on your social media channels as well as your website. Just remember it’s important to follow these few tips.
- • Not all reviews will be equal when it comes to Google and other search engines. The investment can run from free to 5 digits for big business. IF a small business a free option is most likely the right option for you.
- • Consumers can review your business on a range of social media platforms, mapping and GPS apps, Local business listings on Google Bing Yelp etc. It’s Important to be able to monitor these websites and applications.
- • Use the protocols to respond to these reviews and stay on top of them, be both positive and informative to your consumer. If you are not doing this, you may want to get up on speed or ask your website developer to be doing these things.
Schema.org markup can seem intimidating when you first start using it, but the reasons to learn it out weight the reasons not to. With search engines moving to a strict standard and penalizing all these so called 3rd world website developers, it’s more important to let your code stand out from the crowd.